The Loeb Classical Library has been an iconic publishing series for over 100 hundred years. James Loeb’s founding mission was to make classical Greek and Latin literature with accurate English translations accessible to the broadest number of readers possible.
The digital version needed to further that mission by providing online access to the volumes, while integrating the technologically advanced features needed by today’s scholars, students and readers. The challenge was for the PubFactory team to bring the Loebs online without losing the characteristics that made the print series so distinctive and successful.
We worked out an elegant design that referenced the iconic red & green volumes while providing a sophisticated search interface allowing the user to search in Latin, Greek and English. The site also allows the users to navigate the works, volumes and individual authors in natural and powerful ways. The reading interface we created provides both a traditional facing page translation view as well as single page views that allow the user to concentrate on the works in their original language or in the English translation. And finally, we added sophisticated tools for users to save, highlight, and collaboratively annotate the content to complete the digital product and ensure that it will continue to be a mainstay in classical studies well into the future.
We were honored that the digital Loeb Classical Library was recognized with the PROSE Award for 2015 from the Association of American Publishers for the best digital project of the year.
- Includes every Loeb volume in print, including semiannual additions
- Toggle between single- and dual-language reading modes
- Browse works and volumes of the library by author, language, period, form, genre, and subject
- Search across the full Loeb corpus in English, Latin, and Greek
- Bookmark, organize, and annotate content in personal digital workspaces
- Share notes and reading lists with classmates, students, and colleagues