Responding to an increased demand for online scholarly content, the main goal of the University Press Scholarship Online was to streamline the research process by making published monographs easily accessible, discoverable and fully cross-searchable via one online platform, rather than requiring users to jump between a variety of books and disconnected websites.
The intention was to create an individually-branded home for monographs from each participating university press while allowing highly intuitive tools to deep search across all the content in the program.
UPSO was built using PubFactory and its new SiteGen module. With this module, we enabled UPSO to continuously add new books, content sets, presses, and publish new sites entirely by themselves. The SiteGen model drastically reduces the cost for producing new sites within UPSO and enables UPSO to create a single, individually-branded space for each university.
For the individual presses, it reduces effort and cost to produce without sacrificing any capabilities. They get the exact same feature set that UPSO is able to afford, without incurring the cost.
- All UPSO content is available in XML, which provides deep tagging and better search results
- Search by author, title, full text, abstract, keyword, subject, publication date, and more
- Allows users to streamline research through a single online platform
- Content can be downloaded, saved to PDF, and also exported to printer-friendly formats
- Can be easily integrated into library systems and updated frequently with new content
- Offers full customer support services as well as flexibility and choice in purchasing models
- Mobile functionality will be available later this year
- Increase discoverability and usage of university press scholarly materials
- Offers partner presses the unique opportunity to create an XML digital workflow and join a highly successful online scholarship platform. Also provides automatic DOI registration and a powerful system for managing their sites